Horace Hayden Memorial, 1910

The Hartford Dental Society was organized in 1897 to "promote a more friendly feeling among the members of the profession." After years of fundraising, members erected a memorial to honor the birthplace of Dr. Horace Hayden (1769-1844), a Windsor native who helped established dental professional societies, the American Journal of Dental Science, as well as the Baltimore College of Dental Surgery. The memorial was originally dedicated on June 24, 1910 along Windsor Avenue near Park Avenue in Windsor. But, by 1941, the monument had fallen into disrepair, and it was dismantled during the widening and reconstruction of Windsor Avenue. One of the bronze tablets was mounted on a boulder and installed at the intersection of Hayden Station Road and Palisado Avenue. In 2008, the stone and tablet were cleaned and restored through the efforts of the Hartford Dental Society and the James and Ella Burr McManus Trust. At this time, the Horace Hayden Memorial was moved from Hayden Station to a more visible location along the Palisado Green, where it will continue to honor the life, work, foresight, and leadership of Dr. Horace Hayden. Copyright 2015 Windsor Historical Society.

Learn More



Selfies

Submit a Selfie

Historic Sites Points of Interest
Restaurants and Food Shopping
Attractions All Points
Old Poquonock Burying Ground
Poquonock Bridge
Horace Hayden Memorial, 1910
Dr. Hezekiah Chaffee House, ca. 1767
John Mason Statue, 1889 & 1996
Founders of Windsor Monument, 1930
Strong-Howard House, 1757-1830
Rev. William Russell House, 1755
Pierson House, 1807
First Church in Windsor Meetinghouse, 1794
Palisado Cemetery, 1633
Bart's Restaurant, 1946
Farmington River Railroad Bridge, 1867
Union Street Fire Station, 1927
Windsor Train Station, 1869-1870
Freight House, ca. 1870
Tunxis Theater, 1922
Washington Lodge #70, 1902
Hayden-Thompson Building, ca. 1850
Amy Archer-Gilligan House, ca. 1880
Mason Building, 1908
World War II Memorial, ca. 1950
Tobacco Reliefs, 1943
U.S. Post Office, 1963
World War I Memorial, 1920 & 1957
Mullaley Building, ca. 1875
Col. James Loomis House, 1822
John E. Luddy House, 1921
Murphy Building, ca. 1875
Old Post Office Building, ca. 1885
Loomis Fountain, 1903
Mack Brick Plaque, 1830
Roger Ludlow Plaque, 1914
Windsor Town Hall, 1965-1967
Windsor Federal Building, 1956
Huntington House, 1902
Windsor Trust Building, 1929
Veterans of Foreign Wars Building, 1941
Rev. Reuel Hotchkiss Tuttle House, 1865
Plaza Building, 1929
Grace Episcopal Church, 1865
To the Patriots of Windsor, 1929
Col. Oliver Mather House at the Windsor Public Library, 1777
Windsor Grist and Saw Mill, ca 1862
Warham Mill Marker, 1933
St. Gabriel Church, 1916
Wilson Fire House
Deerfield World War II Honor Roll
Windsor/Deerfield Garden Apartments
Mills House
Capt. Thomas Allyn House
Stanadyne
Samuel and Elijah Mills House
Taylor and Fenn
The Elijah Barber House
Poquonock Fire Company
St. Casimir's Lithuanian Society
Keney Park
Elm Grove Chapel, 1894 and Cemetery
Roger Ludlow School
John Fitch High School
Washington Park
Stony Hill School

Selfies
Historic Sites
Points of Interest
Restaurants - Food
Shopping
Attractions
About
Contact Us
Did You Know?
Search
©2017 Windsor Chamber of Commerce, Windsor Historical Society and First Town Downtown of Windsor, Connecticut
| Designed by HostingCT