Tunxis Theater, 1922

In 1922, Arthur W. Lovell built the Lovell Building that housed the Tunxis Theater. The structure replaced the Best Manufacturing Company that had operated on the site until a fire in 1919. The theater opened on December 9, 1922 showing "Smilin" Through? with Norma Talmage and other silent motion pictures. Renovations in the 1930s allowed for patrons to hear ?talkies? with sound throughout. The theater changed hands, management, and names many times. Eventually, Central Street Antiques purchased the property and held auctions in the large space. Get Baked Bakery presently rents the space and holds local markets highlighting Connecticut-made products. Copyright 2015 Windsor Historical Society.


Selfies

Submit a Selfie

Elm Grove Chapel, 1894 and Cemetery
Old Poquonock Burying Ground
Poquonock Bridge
Tunxis Theater, 1922
Windsor Train Station, 1869-1870
Union Street Fire Station, 1927
Mason Building, 1908
Freight House, ca. 1870
Hayden-Thompson Building, ca. 1850
Washington Lodge #70, 1902
World War II Memorial, ca. 1950
Tobacco Reliefs, 1943
U.S. Post Office, 1963
World War I Memorial, 1920 & 1957
Mullaley Building, ca. 1875
John E. Luddy House, 1921
Col. James Loomis House, 1822
Murphy Building, ca. 1875
Old Post Office Building, ca. 1885
Loomis Fountain, 1903
Mack Brick Plaque, 1830
Roger Ludlow Plaque, 1914
Windsor Town Hall, 1965-1967
Windsor Federal Building, 1956
Windsor Trust Building, 1929
Huntington House, 1902
Veterans of Foreign Wars Building, 1941
Amy Archer-Gilligan House, ca. 1880
Plaza Building, 1929
Rev. Reuel Hotchkiss Tuttle House, 1865
To the Patriots of Windsor, 1929
Grace Episcopal Church, 1865
Col. Oliver Mather House at the Windsor Public Library, 1777
Bart's Restaurant, 1946
St. Gabriel Church, 1916
Farmington River Railroad Bridge, 1867
First Church in Windsor Meetinghouse, 1794
Palisado Cemetery, 1633
Windsor Grist and Saw Mill, ca 1862
Strong-Howard House, 1757-1830
Warham Mill Marker, 1933
Rev. William Russell House, 1755
John Mason Statue, 1889 & 1996
Horace Hayden Memorial, 1910
Dr. Hezekiah Chaffee House, ca. 1767
Founders of Windsor Monument, 1930
Pierson House, 1807
Wilson Fire House
Deerfield World War II Honor Roll
Windsor/Deerfield Garden Apartments
Mills House
Capt. Thomas Allyn House
Stanadyne
Samuel and Elijah Mills House
Taylor and Fenn
The Elijah Barber House
Keney Park
Poquonock Fire Company
St. Casimir's Lithuanian Society
Roger Ludlow School
John Fitch High School
Washington Park
Stony Hill School

Selfies
Historic Sites
Points of Interest
Restaurants
Shopping
Attractions
About
Contact Us
Did You Know?
Search
©2017 Windsor Chamber of Commerce, Windsor Historical Society and First Town Downtown of Windsor, Connecticut
| Designed by HostingCT