Veterans of Foreign Wars Building, 1941

The property at the corner of Elm and Broad Street formerly belonged to William H. Filley, a prominent Windsor dairy farmer and businessman. In 1939 the US Government purchased the site for $14,000 and razed the Filley homestead in order to erect a new post office building for the Town of Windsor. The classic colonial design featured a brick and stone facade, large windows, and an ornamental eagle over the doorway. The public lobby extending across the front of the building had five service windows and 250 lock boxes. Behind the lobby was a deep work room for sorting the mail, a "swing room" for off duty postal workers, and a 31-foot- long mailing platform.

Pageantry marked Dedication Day on April 26, 1941. A sack of mail including specially-designed first day covers and postcards was picked up at the Windsor Historical Society, the location of Windsor's first post office, and transported by stagecoach to the new post office on Broad Street. There the mail was stamped with a unique cancellation mark.

Post-war Windsor was a rapidly growing community, and the postal services operations again needed more space. The present post office building on the east side of Broad Street Green opened in 1963. For continuity, the three wooden bas relief sculptures of tobacco workers were moved to the new building and remounted over the postal boxes.

The Raymond B. McHugh Post of the Veterans of Foreign Wars was organized at the end of World War II. The group used the columned Greek Revival homestead of Col. Philip Remington at the foot of Stony Hill as their post headquarters for nearly twenty years. By the mid-1960s the group had grown to 650 members. In April 1964 the VFW unit took possession of the vacated post office building and began to make alterations to suit their needs. Just a few weeks later a roaring fire destroyed the Remington House. Since dedicating their new home in July 1965, this veterans' service organization and its Ladies Auxiliary have been active in the Windsor community. Copyright 2015 Windsor Historical Society.



Selfies
6 votes

Submit a Selfie

Historic Sites Points of Interest
Restaurants and Food Shopping
Attractions All Points
Old Poquonock Burying Ground
Poquonock Bridge
Veterans of Foreign Wars Building, 1941
Windsor Trust Building, 1929
Plaza Building, 1929
Windsor Federal Building, 1956
Loomis Fountain, 1903
Mack Brick Plaque, 1830
Roger Ludlow Plaque, 1914
Windsor Town Hall, 1965-1967
To the Patriots of Windsor, 1929
Huntington House, 1902
John E. Luddy House, 1921
Old Post Office Building, ca. 1885
Rev. Reuel Hotchkiss Tuttle House, 1865
World War I Memorial, 1920 & 1957
Col. Oliver Mather House at the Windsor Public Library, 1777
Murphy Building, ca. 1875
Tobacco Reliefs, 1943
U.S. Post Office, 1963
Grace Episcopal Church, 1865
Col. James Loomis House, 1822
Mullaley Building, ca. 1875
World War II Memorial, ca. 1950
Mason Building, 1908
Tunxis Theater, 1922
Hayden-Thompson Building, ca. 1850
Windsor Train Station, 1869-1870
Washington Lodge #70, 1902
St. Gabriel Church, 1916
Freight House, ca. 1870
Union Street Fire Station, 1927
Amy Archer-Gilligan House, ca. 1880
Windsor Grist and Saw Mill, ca 1862
Bart's Restaurant, 1946
Warham Mill Marker, 1933
Farmington River Railroad Bridge, 1867
Palisado Cemetery, 1633
First Church in Windsor Meetinghouse, 1794
Strong-Howard House, 1757-1830
Rev. William Russell House, 1755
John Mason Statue, 1889 & 1996
Horace Hayden Memorial, 1910
Dr. Hezekiah Chaffee House, ca. 1767
Founders of Windsor Monument, 1930
Pierson House, 1807
Wilson Fire House
Deerfield World War II Honor Roll
Windsor/Deerfield Garden Apartments
Mills House
Capt. Thomas Allyn House
Stanadyne
Samuel and Elijah Mills House
Taylor and Fenn
The Elijah Barber House
Keney Park
Poquonock Fire Company
St. Casimir's Lithuanian Society
Elm Grove Chapel, 1894 and Cemetery
Roger Ludlow School
John Fitch High School
Washington Park
Stony Hill School

Selfies
Historic Sites
Points of Interest
Restaurants - Food
Shopping
Attractions
About
Contact Us
Did You Know?
Search
©2017 Windsor Chamber of Commerce, Windsor Historical Society and First Town Downtown of Windsor, Connecticut
| Designed by HostingCT