Roger Ludlow School

In 1893, with the creation of Windsor's Third School District, a new two-story brick building was built on the corner of Bloomfield Avenue and Spring Street. It was named for Roger Ludlow, of one of the original settlers of Windsor. Roger Ludlow drafted Connecticut's Fundamental Orders, considered by many to be the first written constitution for a self-governing group of people. The high school moved to the upper floors from the Union Academy, and a hall for public exercises was situated on the lower floor. A four-room addition was erected on Spring Street in 1913. The elementary students moved here from the Union School and now all grades through high school were in one building. In 1920 due to overcrowding, a two-room portable school was in use until the high school students moved to John Fitch High School in 1922. In 1956, Roger Ludlow School was sold to St. Gabriel's Church Corporation, which opened a 200-pupil parochial school that is still in existence today, with an eight-room addition added in 1960. © Windsor Historical Society.


Selfies

Submit a Selfie

Historic Sites Points of Interest
Restaurants and Food Shopping
Attractions All Points
Old Poquonock Burying Ground
Poquonock Bridge
Old Post Office Building, ca. 1885
Murphy Building, ca. 1875
Col. James Loomis House, 1822
Mullaley Building, ca. 1875
Windsor Federal Building, 1956
Windsor Trust Building, 1929
Veterans of Foreign Wars Building, 1941
Plaza Building, 1929
World War I Memorial, 1920 & 1957
World War II Memorial, ca. 1950
Windsor Grist and Saw Mill, ca 1862
Amy Archer-Gilligan House, ca. 1880
Loomis Fountain, 1903
Warham Mill Marker, 1933
Mason Building, 1908
Hayden-Thompson Building, ca. 1850
To the Patriots of Windsor, 1929
Col. Oliver Mather House at the Windsor Public Library, 1777
Mack Brick Plaque, 1830
Roger Ludlow Plaque, 1914
Windsor Town Hall, 1965-1967
Tobacco Reliefs, 1943
U.S. Post Office, 1963
Washington Lodge #70, 1902
St. Gabriel Church, 1916
John E. Luddy House, 1921
Huntington House, 1902
Grace Episcopal Church, 1865
Rev. Reuel Hotchkiss Tuttle House, 1865
Tunxis Theater, 1922
Union Street Fire Station, 1927
Windsor Train Station, 1869-1870
Freight House, ca. 1870
Farmington River Railroad Bridge, 1867
Bart's Restaurant, 1946
Palisado Cemetery, 1633
First Church in Windsor Meetinghouse, 1794
Strong-Howard House, 1757-1830
Rev. William Russell House, 1755
John Mason Statue, 1889 & 1996
Horace Hayden Memorial, 1910
Founders of Windsor Monument, 1930
Pierson House, 1807
Dr. Hezekiah Chaffee House, ca. 1767
Wilson Fire House
Deerfield World War II Honor Roll
Windsor/Deerfield Garden Apartments
Mills House
Capt. Thomas Allyn House
Stanadyne
Samuel and Elijah Mills House
Taylor and Fenn
The Elijah Barber House
Keney Park
Poquonock Fire Company
St. Casimir's Lithuanian Society
Elm Grove Chapel, 1894 and Cemetery
Roger Ludlow School
John Fitch High School
Washington Park
Stony Hill School

Selfies
Historic Sites
Points of Interest
Restaurants - Food
Shopping
Attractions
About
Contact Us
Did You Know?
Search
©2017 Windsor Chamber of Commerce, Windsor Historical Society and First Town Downtown of Windsor, Connecticut
| Designed by HostingCT