First Town Square, 2007

The Eddy Electric Company was just one of the many businesses that occupied this building which is on the National Historic Register. The original portion on the southern side of the complex was built in 1852 by a group of Windsor businessmen who manufactured stockinet, a finely woven cloth used in undergarments. Just two years later, the Sequassen Woolen Company took over the looms to make fine wool fabric for men's clothing. However, a fire destroyed much of the building in 1872. Once it was rebuilt, the new owners provided it to Christopher Miner Spencer for the manufacture of shotguns and other sporting guns.

In 1885 Eddy Electric Company took over the building to produce motors, generators, speed indictors, and to experiment with electric-powered vehicles. They added the central wing in 1891. General Electric was the last company to use the facility for heavy manufacturing. They added the north wing in 1920, but then moved all their operations to Lynn, MA in 1927. The building did not remain empty for long, however. Cigarette manufacturer P. Lorillard Company took over the building to use for sorting and warehousing tobacco leaves.

In the mid-20th century, Combustion Engineering leased the building for clerical offices, storage, a shipping department, and an in-house print shop. The main CE campus was a research and development complex off Day Hill Road. In December 2001 the building was purchased by the Vintage Radio and Communications Museum of Connecticut. The museum offered displays and a reference library here for about four years before moving to Pierson Lane. In 2005 Windsor's town planning and zoning department gave approval to the Corporation for Independent Living to convert the warehouse to market-rate condominiums. The fifty-five units created in the structure feature two-foot-thick brick walls, high ceilings, and open floor plans. The residents enjoy living close to the town center restaurants, shops, and cultural opportunities. Copyright 2015 Windsor Historical Society.



Selfies

Submit a Selfie

Historic Sites Points of Interest
Restaurants and Food Shopping
Attractions All Points
First Town Square, 2007
John Henry II, 2014
Track Power, 2014
A Load Too Heavy to Bear, 2013
John Henry, 2012
I Saw What Turned the World Before Socialism. Did You?, ca. 2008
Into the Future, 2008
First Town Downtown Heritage Bricks and Time Capsule, 1996
Windsor Lions Club Memorial, 1990
Windsor Center River Trail, 1996
Ballad of Mack Street, 2003
Vietnam Memorial Plaque, 1968
Moly Mosquito, 1993
Copper Beech Tree, 1967
Anita and Champaben Patel Memorial, 1999
Constitution Oak Plaque, 2012
Farmington River Plaque, 1993
Nathan Steinberg Bench, 2001
Railroad Bridge Plaque, 1993
Shad Derby Plaque, 1976
Highway Bridge Plaque, 1993
Ray Henry Memorial Bridge Marker, 1999
Seniors Time Capsule, 1999
Town of Windsor Time Capsule, 1976
Wilson Congregational Church
Former Elks Lodge
Windsor Shopping Center
Roger Wolcott School
Sharshon Park
Wilson Branch Library
Mott's
Carville's Restaurant
Windsor Grist and Saw Mill, ca 1862

Selfies
Historic Sites
Points of Interest
Restaurants - Food
Shopping
Attractions
About
Contact Us
Did You Know?
Search
©2017 Windsor Chamber of Commerce, Windsor Historical Society and First Town Downtown of Windsor, Connecticut
| Designed by HostingCT