Col. James Loomis House, 1822

This Windsor landmark is an old Loomis homestead although at first that may be difficult to discern amidst its present-day commercial use. The Federal-style house was built in 1822 for Col. James Loomis and was one of the many residences that once faced the green. It is constructed of locally handmade bricks with sandstone foundation, window sills, and steps. Col. Loomis owned a general store and was the father of the founders of the Loomis Chaffee School. The house passed from the Loomis family to the Andrus family in 1878. Elliott Andrus was the town blacksmith with a forge and shop behind the house. He specialized in shoeing the race horses that competed at the nearby Sage Park race track. His son adapted to the changes in transportation and operated an automotive garage in the shop.

Connecticut Bank and Trust purchased the building from the Andrus family in 1970 and renovated it extensively to serve as a local branch bank. The original floors and ceilings were removed to make a larger service area, but some of the fireplaces and their mantels remain. Connecticut Bank and Trust became Fleet Bank and presently is the Bank of America. The exterior of this once gracious home still provides evidence of the skills of local craftsmen. Copyright 2015 Windsor Historical Society.



Selfies

Submit a Selfie

Old Poquonock Burying Ground
Poquonock Bridge
Col. James Loomis House, 1822
Mullaley Building, ca. 1875
Murphy Building, ca. 1875
Old Post Office Building, ca. 1885
World War II Memorial, ca. 1950
World War I Memorial, 1920 & 1957
Mason Building, 1908
Windsor Federal Building, 1956
Hayden-Thompson Building, ca. 1850
Tobacco Reliefs, 1943
U.S. Post Office, 1963
Washington Lodge #70, 1902
Windsor Trust Building, 1929
Loomis Fountain, 1903
John E. Luddy House, 1921
Veterans of Foreign Wars Building, 1941
Tunxis Theater, 1922
Mack Brick Plaque, 1830
Roger Ludlow Plaque, 1914
Windsor Town Hall, 1965-1967
Union Street Fire Station, 1927
Windsor Train Station, 1869-1870
Plaza Building, 1929
Freight House, ca. 1870
Huntington House, 1902
Amy Archer-Gilligan House, ca. 1880
To the Patriots of Windsor, 1929
Rev. Reuel Hotchkiss Tuttle House, 1865
Grace Episcopal Church, 1865
Col. Oliver Mather House at the Windsor Public Library, 1777
St. Gabriel Church, 1916
Bart's Restaurant, 1946
Windsor Grist and Saw Mill, ca 1862
Farmington River Railroad Bridge, 1867
Warham Mill Marker, 1933
Palisado Cemetery, 1633
First Church in Windsor Meetinghouse, 1794
Strong-Howard House, 1757-1830
Rev. William Russell House, 1755
John Mason Statue, 1889 & 1996
Horace Hayden Memorial, 1910
Dr. Hezekiah Chaffee House, ca. 1767
Founders of Windsor Monument, 1930
Pierson House, 1807
Wilson Fire House
Deerfield World War II Honor Roll
Windsor/Deerfield Garden Apartments
Mills House
Capt. Thomas Allyn House
Stanadyne
Samuel and Elijah Mills House
Taylor and Fenn
The Elijah Barber House
Keney Park
Poquonock Fire Company
St. Casimir's Lithuanian Society
Elm Grove Chapel, 1894 and Cemetery
Roger Ludlow School
John Fitch High School
Washington Park
Stony Hill School

Selfies
Historic Sites
Points of Interest
Restaurants - Food
Shopping
Attractions
About
Contact Us
Did You Know?
Search
©2017 Windsor Chamber of Commerce, Windsor Historical Society and First Town Downtown of Windsor, Connecticut
| Designed by HostingCT