Washington Park

In 1854, "Factory Pond,” was created to supply water for Sequassen Woolen Company. When the factory burned down in 1871, H. Sidney Hayden started using Factory Pond. He started a water works called "Crystal Springs", installing pipes and mains from Factory Pond to Windsor's town center for hydrants and fire protection. The demand for water grew and what had been Factory Pond was how needed for drinking water. This reservoir served Windsor's water needs until the turn of the century. In 1915, the Windsor Fire District purchased the water rights. The reservoir provided Windsor's water needs until 1930 when Metropolitan District became the new town water supplier. During the Depression, men worked for $3.00 a day to build a park with amenities. Because 1932 was the 200th anniversary of George Washington's birth, it was decided to name the park after him. © Windsor Historical Society
Historic Sites Points of Interest
Restaurants and Food Shopping
Attractions Freedom Trail
All Points
Old Poquonock Burying Ground
Poquonock Bridge
Warham Mill Marker, 1933
Windsor Grist and Saw Mill, ca 1862
St. Gabriel Church, 1916
Plaza Building, 1929
Veterans of Foreign Wars Building, 1941
Windsor Trust Building, 1929
Col. Oliver Mather House at the Windsor Public Library, 1777
Windsor Federal Building, 1956
Old Post Office Building, ca. 1885
Murphy Building, ca. 1875
To the Patriots of Windsor, 1929
Col. James Loomis House, 1822
Mullaley Building, ca. 1875
Loomis Fountain, 1903
World War I Memorial, 1920 & 1957
Grace Episcopal Church, 1865
Mack Brick Plaque, 1830
Roger Ludlow Plaque, 1914
Windsor Town Hall, 1965-1967
World War II Memorial, ca. 1950
Rev. Reuel Hotchkiss Tuttle House, 1865
Huntington House, 1902
John E. Luddy House, 1921
Amy Archer-Gilligan House, ca. 1880
Tobacco Reliefs, 1943
U.S. Post Office, 1963
Mason Building, 1908
Hayden-Thompson Building, ca. 1850
Washington Lodge #70, 1902
Tunxis Theater, 1922
Union Street Fire Station, 1927
Windsor Train Station, 1869-1870
Freight House, ca. 1870
Farmington River Railroad Bridge, 1867
Bart's Restaurant, 1946
Palisado Cemetery, 1633
First Church in Windsor Meetinghouse, 1794
Strong-Howard House, 1757-1830
Rev. William Russell House, 1755
John Mason Statue, 1889 & 1996
Horace Hayden Memorial, 1910
Founders of Windsor Monument, 1930
Pierson House, 1807
Dr. Hezekiah Chaffee House, ca. 1767
Deerfield World War II Honor Roll
Windsor/Deerfield Garden Apartments
Mills House
Capt. Thomas Allyn House
Samuel and Elijah Mills House
Taylor and Fenn
The Elijah Barber House
Wilson Fire House
Keney Park
Poquonock Fire Company
St. Casimir's Lithuanian Society
Elm Grove Chapel, 1894 and Cemetery
Washington Park
John Fitch High School
Roger Ludlow School
Stony Hill School
Riverside Cemetery
Joseph Rainey House
William Best House
Archer Memorial A.M.E. Zion Church
Drastic Park Dinosaur Sculptures
Windsor Historical Society

Historic Sites
Points of Interest
Restaurants - Food
Freedom Trail Sites
Contact Us
Did You Know?
Shad Selfies
©2024 Windsor Chamber of Commerce, Windsor Historical Society and First Town Downtown of Windsor, Connecticut
| Designed by HostingCT