Col. Oliver Mather House at the Windsor Public Library, 1777

Col. Oliver Mather, a prosperous Windsor famer, built this house in 1777. The property passed to his grandson Frederick Mather who had a successful legal and business career in New York City but also maintained an interest in his native Windsor. For many years a succession of renters lived in the Mather House and also in the smaller structure on the west side nearest Broad Street.

The Windsor Library Association, formed in 1888, wanted a suitable home for its growing collection of books. They purchased the house from Mather’s estate in 1901 and ten years later opened the new Windsor Public Library in the remodeled west wing. The interior partitions and upper floor were opened up into one large room with a fireplace and bookshelves all around. In 1940 the Library Association added a matching east wing and remodeled the house so that the library could occupy the entire first floor. The library has undergone two significant expansions since then, one in the 1970s and more recently in 2006. Today’s library offers a wide range of books and media materials for loan and programming for all ages. Copyright 2015 Windsor Historical Society.


Learn More



Selfies

Submit a Selfie

Old Poquonock Burying Ground
Poquonock Bridge
Col. Oliver Mather House at the Windsor Public Library, 1777
To the Patriots of Windsor, 1929
Grace Episcopal Church, 1865
Rev. Reuel Hotchkiss Tuttle House, 1865
Plaza Building, 1929
Huntington House, 1902
Veterans of Foreign Wars Building, 1941
Windsor Trust Building, 1929
Mack Brick Plaque, 1830
Roger Ludlow Plaque, 1914
Windsor Town Hall, 1965-1967
St. Gabriel Church, 1916
Loomis Fountain, 1903
John E. Luddy House, 1921
Windsor Federal Building, 1956
Tobacco Reliefs, 1943
U.S. Post Office, 1963
Old Post Office Building, ca. 1885
World War I Memorial, 1920 & 1957
Murphy Building, ca. 1875
Col. James Loomis House, 1822
Mullaley Building, ca. 1875
World War II Memorial, ca. 1950
Mason Building, 1908
Tunxis Theater, 1922
Freight House, ca. 1870
Windsor Train Station, 1869-1870
Hayden-Thompson Building, ca. 1850
Washington Lodge #70, 1902
Union Street Fire Station, 1927
Amy Archer-Gilligan House, ca. 1880
Windsor Grist and Saw Mill, ca 1862
Bart's Restaurant, 1946
Warham Mill Marker, 1933
Farmington River Railroad Bridge, 1867
Palisado Cemetery, 1633
First Church in Windsor Meetinghouse, 1794
Strong-Howard House, 1757-1830
Rev. William Russell House, 1755
Horace Hayden Memorial, 1910
John Mason Statue, 1889 & 1996
Dr. Hezekiah Chaffee House, ca. 1767
Founders of Windsor Monument, 1930
Pierson House, 1807
Wilson Fire House
Deerfield World War II Honor Roll
Windsor/Deerfield Garden Apartments
Mills House
Capt. Thomas Allyn House
Stanadyne
Samuel and Elijah Mills House
Taylor and Fenn
The Elijah Barber House
Keney Park
Poquonock Fire Company
St. Casimir's Lithuanian Society
Elm Grove Chapel, 1894 and Cemetery
Roger Ludlow School
John Fitch High School
Washington Park
Stony Hill School

Selfies
Historic Sites
Points of Interest
Restaurants - Food
Shopping
Attractions
About
Contact Us
Did You Know?
Search
©2017 Windsor Chamber of Commerce, Windsor Historical Society and First Town Downtown of Windsor, Connecticut
| Designed by HostingCT