Dr. Hezekiah Chaffee House, ca. 1767

The Dr. Hezekiah Chaffee House has been described as one of the finest Georgian period houses in Windsor. It is situated at the center of the Palisado Avenue Historic District. Currently owned by the Town of Windsor, it is open to the public through the auspices of the Windsor Historical Society.

Dr. Hezekiah Chaffee (1731-1819), druggist and physician, came to Windsor about 1755 and married the widow of a local doctor. He built this spacious house with a massive central chimney, finely paneled walls, and attached medical office and raised a family of five children. After the death of his son John Chaffee in 1844, the house remained in the family for over eighty years, but it was rented for long stretches of time. In 1926 the Loomis Institute purchased the house to use for its Chaffee School. The first class of girls graduated in 1929. After 44 years at the Palisado Green site, Chaffee School merged with Loomis School in 1970 and today the Loomis Chaffee School is located on one campus near the center of town.

The Town of Windsor purchased the Chaffee School campus in its entirety. Currently the buildings are used for various educational and social service purposes. Windsor Historical Society took a lease on the Chaffee House in 1992. They relocated visible pipes and electrical fixtures from the first floor, treated the hardwood flooring, researched period paints and wall coverings, and furnished the rooms with collection pieces in keeping with the Chaffee family estate inventories. The grand reopening of the Dr. Hezekiah Chaffee House took place on June 5, 1993. Copyright 2015 Windsor Historical Society.


Learn More



Selfies

Submit a Selfie

Capt. Thomas Allyn House
Deerfield World War II Honor Roll
Elm Grove Chapel, 1894 and Cemetery
Keney Park
Mills House
Old Poquonock Burying Ground
Poquonock Bridge
Poquonock Fire Company
Samuel and Elijah Mills House
St. Casimir's Lithuanian Society
Stanadyne
Taylor and Fenn
The Elijah Barber House
Wilson Fire House
Windsor/Deerfield Garden Apartments
Dr. Hezekiah Chaffee House, ca. 1767
Horace Hayden Memorial, 1910
Founders of Windsor Monument, 1930
John Mason Statue, 1889 & 1996
Strong-Howard House, 1757-1830
Pierson House, 1807
Rev. William Russell House, 1755
Palisado Cemetery, 1633
First Church in Windsor Meetinghouse, 1794
Bart's Restaurant, 1946
Farmington River Railroad Bridge, 1867
Union Street Fire Station, 1927
Windsor Train Station, 1869-1870
Freight House, ca. 1870
Tunxis Theater, 1922
Washington Lodge #70, 1902
Hayden-Thompson Building, ca. 1850
Amy Archer-Gilligan House, ca. 1880
Mason Building, 1908
World War II Memorial, ca. 1950
Tobacco Reliefs, 1943
U.S. Post Office, 1963
World War I Memorial, 1920 & 1957
Mullaley Building, ca. 1875
Col. James Loomis House, 1822
John E. Luddy House, 1921
Murphy Building, ca. 1875
Old Post Office Building, ca. 1885
Loomis Fountain, 1903
Mack Brick Plaque, 1830
Roger Ludlow Plaque, 1914
Windsor Town Hall, 1965-1967
Windsor Federal Building, 1956
Huntington House, 1902
Windsor Trust Building, 1929
Veterans of Foreign Wars Building, 1941
Rev. Reuel Hotchkiss Tuttle House, 1865
Plaza Building, 1929
Grace Episcopal Church, 1865
To the Patriots of Windsor, 1929
Col. Oliver Mather House at the Windsor Public Library, 1777
Windsor Grist and Saw Mill, ca 1862
Warham Mill Marker, 1933
St. Gabriel Church, 1916

Selfies
Historic Sites
Points of Interest
Restaurants
Shopping
Attractions
About
Contact Us
Did You Know?
Search
©2017 Windsor Chamber of Commerce, Windsor Historical Society and First Town Downtown of Windsor, Connecticut
| Designed by HostingCT