Farmington River Railroad Bridge, 1867

Erected in 1867, this marvel of engineering has withstood the rattling weight of trains of the Hartford to Springfield line for nearly 150 years. It is 464 feet long and 30 feet wide. The sandstone arches were built wide enough for barges to be towed through them and up the Farmington River to Poquonock. The bases of the arches have projections on the upriver side to break up damaging ice floes. In 1955 the deep and rushing flood waters from Hurricane Connie and Hurricane Diane rose nearly to the top of the arches. The bridge was placed on the National Historic Register in 1972. Copyright 2015 Windsor Historical Society.


Selfies

Submit a Selfie

Old Poquonock Burying Ground
Poquonock Bridge
Farmington River Railroad Bridge, 1867
Bart's Restaurant, 1946
Palisado Cemetery, 1633
First Church in Windsor Meetinghouse, 1794
Rev. William Russell House, 1755
Strong-Howard House, 1757-1830
Amy Archer-Gilligan House, ca. 1880
Pierson House, 1807
John Mason Statue, 1889 & 1996
Founders of Windsor Monument, 1930
Horace Hayden Memorial, 1910
Union Street Fire Station, 1927
Dr. Hezekiah Chaffee House, ca. 1767
Washington Lodge #70, 1902
Hayden-Thompson Building, ca. 1850
Tunxis Theater, 1922
Windsor Train Station, 1869-1870
Mason Building, 1908
World War II Memorial, ca. 1950
Freight House, ca. 1870
Mullaley Building, ca. 1875
Col. James Loomis House, 1822
World War I Memorial, 1920 & 1957
Murphy Building, ca. 1875
Tobacco Reliefs, 1943
U.S. Post Office, 1963
Old Post Office Building, ca. 1885
John E. Luddy House, 1921
Windsor Federal Building, 1956
Loomis Fountain, 1903
Mack Brick Plaque, 1830
Roger Ludlow Plaque, 1914
Windsor Town Hall, 1965-1967
Windsor Trust Building, 1929
Veterans of Foreign Wars Building, 1941
Windsor Grist and Saw Mill, ca 1862
Huntington House, 1902
Warham Mill Marker, 1933
Plaza Building, 1929
Rev. Reuel Hotchkiss Tuttle House, 1865
To the Patriots of Windsor, 1929
Grace Episcopal Church, 1865
Col. Oliver Mather House at the Windsor Public Library, 1777
St. Gabriel Church, 1916
Wilson Fire House
Deerfield World War II Honor Roll
Windsor/Deerfield Garden Apartments
Mills House
Capt. Thomas Allyn House
Stanadyne
Samuel and Elijah Mills House
Taylor and Fenn
The Elijah Barber House
Poquonock Fire Company
St. Casimir's Lithuanian Society
Keney Park
Elm Grove Chapel, 1894 and Cemetery
Roger Ludlow School
John Fitch High School
Washington Park
Stony Hill School

Selfies
Historic Sites
Points of Interest
Restaurants - Food
Shopping
Attractions
About
Contact Us
Did You Know?
Search
©2017 Windsor Chamber of Commerce, Windsor Historical Society and First Town Downtown of Windsor, Connecticut
| Designed by HostingCT