First Church in Windsor Meetinghouse, 1794

The First Church in Windsor’s 1794 meetinghouse is situated on the north bank of the Farmington River in the Palisado Avenue Historic District. The congregation traces its roots to the English immigrants who crossed the Atlantic in 1630 on the ship Mary & John before removing to Windsor in 1635. This is the fourth church building occupied by the congregation. Originally it had a tall tower with a belfry and cupola attached to the front of the building. The tower was removed in 1844 when the classically-styled portico and columns were added and the steeple redesigned.

The church celebrated its 300th anniversary in 1930 with an elaborate pageant staged on the banks of the Farmington River, a 50-float parade, visiting dignitaries, special services, and a ball. Significant efforts were made in the 1960s to restore hand carved wooden details, replicate hardware on the pew slip doors, and repair the forty-foot high ceiling. In the mid-1990s the entire meetinghouse floor was replaced and the stained glass windows were refurbished. Maintaining such an historic structure is a commitment both to the past and to the future. Copyright 2015 Windsor Historical Society.


Learn More



Selfies

Submit a Selfie

Old Poquonock Burying Ground
Poquonock Bridge
First Church in Windsor Meetinghouse, 1794
Palisado Cemetery, 1633
Rev. William Russell House, 1755
Strong-Howard House, 1757-1830
John Mason Statue, 1889 & 1996
Pierson House, 1807
Founders of Windsor Monument, 1930
Horace Hayden Memorial, 1910
Dr. Hezekiah Chaffee House, ca. 1767
Bart's Restaurant, 1946
Farmington River Railroad Bridge, 1867
Union Street Fire Station, 1927
Amy Archer-Gilligan House, ca. 1880
Washington Lodge #70, 1902
Windsor Train Station, 1869-1870
Freight House, ca. 1870
Tunxis Theater, 1922
Hayden-Thompson Building, ca. 1850
Mason Building, 1908
World War II Memorial, ca. 1950
Mullaley Building, ca. 1875
Tobacco Reliefs, 1943
U.S. Post Office, 1963
World War I Memorial, 1920 & 1957
Col. James Loomis House, 1822
Murphy Building, ca. 1875
Old Post Office Building, ca. 1885
John E. Luddy House, 1921
Loomis Fountain, 1903
Windsor Federal Building, 1956
Mack Brick Plaque, 1830
Roger Ludlow Plaque, 1914
Windsor Town Hall, 1965-1967
Windsor Trust Building, 1929
Huntington House, 1902
Veterans of Foreign Wars Building, 1941
Rev. Reuel Hotchkiss Tuttle House, 1865
Plaza Building, 1929
Grace Episcopal Church, 1865
To the Patriots of Windsor, 1929
Col. Oliver Mather House at the Windsor Public Library, 1777
Windsor Grist and Saw Mill, ca 1862
Warham Mill Marker, 1933
St. Gabriel Church, 1916
Wilson Fire House
Deerfield World War II Honor Roll
Windsor/Deerfield Garden Apartments
Mills House
Capt. Thomas Allyn House
Stanadyne
Samuel and Elijah Mills House
Taylor and Fenn
The Elijah Barber House
Poquonock Fire Company
St. Casimir's Lithuanian Society
Keney Park
Elm Grove Chapel, 1894 and Cemetery
Roger Ludlow School
John Fitch High School
Washington Park
Stony Hill School

Selfies
Historic Sites
Points of Interest
Restaurants - Food
Shopping
Attractions
About
Contact Us
Did You Know?
Search
©2017 Windsor Chamber of Commerce, Windsor Historical Society and First Town Downtown of Windsor, Connecticut
| Designed by HostingCT