Founders of Windsor Monument, 1930

This massive granite monument was designed by Evelyn Beatrice Longman Batchelder, a nationally renowned sculptor and a resident of Windsor. The central slab has a gilded bronze bas relief of the ship Mary & John which brought many of the original founders of Windsor to America from England in 1630. The inscription includes the names of 125 early settlers.

The monument is placed on the site in the center of Palisado Green which is believed to be the location of the first church building in Connecticut. It was dedicated on May 31, 1930 as part of a three day celebration of the 300th anniversary or Tercentenary of the First Church in Windsor. The Connecticut Branch of the National Society Sons and Daughters of the Pilgrims raised the money for the monument and participate in the unveiling ceremonies. Present-day descendants of the founders of Windsor come from all over the United States to view their ancestors’ names on the polished granite wall. Copyright 2015 Windsor Historical Society.


Learn More



Selfies

Submit a Selfie

Old Poquonock Burying Ground
Poquonock Bridge
Founders of Windsor Monument, 1930
John Mason Statue, 1889 & 1996
Dr. Hezekiah Chaffee House, ca. 1767
Horace Hayden Memorial, 1910
Pierson House, 1807
Strong-Howard House, 1757-1830
Rev. William Russell House, 1755
First Church in Windsor Meetinghouse, 1794
Palisado Cemetery, 1633
Bart's Restaurant, 1946
Farmington River Railroad Bridge, 1867
Union Street Fire Station, 1927
Windsor Train Station, 1869-1870
Freight House, ca. 1870
Washington Lodge #70, 1902
Tunxis Theater, 1922
Amy Archer-Gilligan House, ca. 1880
Hayden-Thompson Building, ca. 1850
Mason Building, 1908
World War II Memorial, ca. 1950
Tobacco Reliefs, 1943
U.S. Post Office, 1963
Mullaley Building, ca. 1875
World War I Memorial, 1920 & 1957
Col. James Loomis House, 1822
Murphy Building, ca. 1875
John E. Luddy House, 1921
Old Post Office Building, ca. 1885
Loomis Fountain, 1903
Mack Brick Plaque, 1830
Roger Ludlow Plaque, 1914
Windsor Town Hall, 1965-1967
Windsor Federal Building, 1956
Huntington House, 1902
Windsor Trust Building, 1929
Veterans of Foreign Wars Building, 1941
Rev. Reuel Hotchkiss Tuttle House, 1865
Plaza Building, 1929
Grace Episcopal Church, 1865
To the Patriots of Windsor, 1929
Col. Oliver Mather House at the Windsor Public Library, 1777
Windsor Grist and Saw Mill, ca 1862
Warham Mill Marker, 1933
St. Gabriel Church, 1916
Wilson Fire House
Deerfield World War II Honor Roll
Windsor/Deerfield Garden Apartments
Mills House
Capt. Thomas Allyn House
Stanadyne
Samuel and Elijah Mills House
Taylor and Fenn
The Elijah Barber House
Poquonock Fire Company
St. Casimir's Lithuanian Society
Keney Park
Elm Grove Chapel, 1894 and Cemetery
Roger Ludlow School
John Fitch High School
Washington Park
Stony Hill School

Selfies
Historic Sites
Points of Interest
Restaurants - Food
Shopping
Attractions
About
Contact Us
Did You Know?
Search
©2017 Windsor Chamber of Commerce, Windsor Historical Society and First Town Downtown of Windsor, Connecticut
| Designed by HostingCT