Freight House, ca. 1870

While the exact construction date of the freight house is not known, the New Haven, Hartford, & Springfield Railroad Company built this utilitarian structure around the time it constructed a new passenger station in Windsor in 1870. Wide double doors could be slid open to allow carts laden with crates and parcels to be wheeled directly from the trains and into the building where the items were sorted for distribution. The building fell into disrepair in the mid-20th century when use of the railroads was supplanted by cars and trucks. By the 1980s, the Town of Windsor hoped to renovate the spaces and revive this industrial area of town. Using local, state, and federal monies, they renovated the station and freight house and dedicated the refurbished structures in 1988. In 2007, the Windsor Art Center moved into the Freight House and it is open to the public year-round. Copyright 2015 Windsor Historical Society.

Learn More



Selfies

Submit a Selfie

Old Poquonock Burying Ground
Poquonock Bridge
Freight House, ca. 1870
Windsor Train Station, 1869-1870
Tunxis Theater, 1922
Union Street Fire Station, 1927
Tobacco Reliefs, 1943
U.S. Post Office, 1963
Mason Building, 1908
Hayden-Thompson Building, ca. 1850
John E. Luddy House, 1921
Washington Lodge #70, 1902
World War II Memorial, ca. 1950
World War I Memorial, 1920 & 1957
Mack Brick Plaque, 1830
Roger Ludlow Plaque, 1914
Windsor Town Hall, 1965-1967
Loomis Fountain, 1903
Col. James Loomis House, 1822
Mullaley Building, ca. 1875
Murphy Building, ca. 1875
Old Post Office Building, ca. 1885
Huntington House, 1902
Windsor Federal Building, 1956
Windsor Trust Building, 1929
Rev. Reuel Hotchkiss Tuttle House, 1865
Veterans of Foreign Wars Building, 1941
Plaza Building, 1929
Grace Episcopal Church, 1865
To the Patriots of Windsor, 1929
Amy Archer-Gilligan House, ca. 1880
Col. Oliver Mather House at the Windsor Public Library, 1777
Bart's Restaurant, 1946
St. Gabriel Church, 1916
Farmington River Railroad Bridge, 1867
Palisado Cemetery, 1633
First Church in Windsor Meetinghouse, 1794
Strong-Howard House, 1757-1830
Rev. William Russell House, 1755
Horace Hayden Memorial, 1910
John Mason Statue, 1889 & 1996
Dr. Hezekiah Chaffee House, ca. 1767
Founders of Windsor Monument, 1930
Windsor Grist and Saw Mill, ca 1862
Pierson House, 1807
Warham Mill Marker, 1933
Wilson Fire House
Deerfield World War II Honor Roll
Windsor/Deerfield Garden Apartments
Mills House
Capt. Thomas Allyn House
Stanadyne
Samuel and Elijah Mills House
Taylor and Fenn
The Elijah Barber House
Keney Park
Poquonock Fire Company
St. Casimir's Lithuanian Society
Elm Grove Chapel, 1894 and Cemetery
Roger Ludlow School
John Fitch High School
Washington Park
Stony Hill School

Selfies
Historic Sites
Points of Interest
Restaurants - Food
Shopping
Attractions
About
Contact Us
Did You Know?
Search
©2017 Windsor Chamber of Commerce, Windsor Historical Society and First Town Downtown of Windsor, Connecticut
| Designed by HostingCT