John Mason Statue, 1889 & 1996

In 1889 Paul Wayland Bartlett crafted the bronze statue of Major John Mason (1600-1672) that now stands in the middle of Palisado Green. Mason was a founder of Windsor and a military leader during the Pequot War. In 1637, the English launched a surprise attack against the Pequot at Fort Mystic. John Mason then ordered his men to set the fort on fire, killing between 500 and 800 Pequot men, women, and children. The statue was originally located on the site of this massacre and celebrated the defeat of the Pequot. By the late 20th century, the Pequot Nation gained recognition from the federal government and sought to have the statue removed from their tribal lands. The State of Connecticut searched for a new home, and the Windsor Historical Society urged that the statue be preserved on the town?s Palisado Green, near John Mason's original home lot. The statue was unveiled in June of 1996. Soon thereafter the statue was vandalized with red paint. John Mason's controversial story is still debated, but most residents now agree that, for better or worse, he and his statue are part of Windsor's history. Copyright 2015 Windsor Historical Society.

Learn More



Selfies

Submit a Selfie

Historic Sites Points of Interest
Restaurants and Food Shopping
Attractions All Points
Old Poquonock Burying Ground
Poquonock Bridge
John Mason Statue, 1889 & 1996
Founders of Windsor Monument, 1930
Dr. Hezekiah Chaffee House, ca. 1767
Horace Hayden Memorial, 1910
Strong-Howard House, 1757-1830
Rev. William Russell House, 1755
Pierson House, 1807
First Church in Windsor Meetinghouse, 1794
Palisado Cemetery, 1633
Bart's Restaurant, 1946
Farmington River Railroad Bridge, 1867
Union Street Fire Station, 1927
Windsor Train Station, 1869-1870
Freight House, ca. 1870
Washington Lodge #70, 1902
Tunxis Theater, 1922
Amy Archer-Gilligan House, ca. 1880
Hayden-Thompson Building, ca. 1850
Mason Building, 1908
World War II Memorial, ca. 1950
Tobacco Reliefs, 1943
U.S. Post Office, 1963
Mullaley Building, ca. 1875
World War I Memorial, 1920 & 1957
Col. James Loomis House, 1822
Murphy Building, ca. 1875
John E. Luddy House, 1921
Old Post Office Building, ca. 1885
Loomis Fountain, 1903
Mack Brick Plaque, 1830
Roger Ludlow Plaque, 1914
Windsor Town Hall, 1965-1967
Windsor Federal Building, 1956
Huntington House, 1902
Windsor Trust Building, 1929
Veterans of Foreign Wars Building, 1941
Rev. Reuel Hotchkiss Tuttle House, 1865
Plaza Building, 1929
Grace Episcopal Church, 1865
To the Patriots of Windsor, 1929
Col. Oliver Mather House at the Windsor Public Library, 1777
Windsor Grist and Saw Mill, ca 1862
Warham Mill Marker, 1933
St. Gabriel Church, 1916
Wilson Fire House
Deerfield World War II Honor Roll
Windsor/Deerfield Garden Apartments
Mills House
Capt. Thomas Allyn House
Stanadyne
Samuel and Elijah Mills House
Taylor and Fenn
The Elijah Barber House
Poquonock Fire Company
St. Casimir's Lithuanian Society
Keney Park
Elm Grove Chapel, 1894 and Cemetery
Roger Ludlow School
John Fitch High School
Washington Park
Stony Hill School

Selfies
Historic Sites
Points of Interest
Restaurants - Food
Shopping
Attractions
About
Contact Us
Did You Know?
Search
©2017 Windsor Chamber of Commerce, Windsor Historical Society and First Town Downtown of Windsor, Connecticut
| Designed by HostingCT