Keney Park

Keney Park, designed by the Olmstead Brothers, sons of Frederick Law Olmstead, who designed Central Park in New York City, is one of the largest municipal parks in New England. It has 695 acres, 100 of which extend into Windsor. This park was initiated in 1896 when Reverend Francis Goodwin, chairman of Hartford's Board of Park Commissioners, convinced merchants Henry and Walter Keney to will a large part of their property for a park. It was built in 1902 and was designed with four granite pavilions arranged in a semi-circle. The park was to appear completely natural, characterized by "rolling wild pasture land and the traditional forests of the New England landscape". The park would later have an 18-hole golf course, cricket fields, tennis courts, horseback trails, baseball fields, a swimming pool, and playgrounds. It even had a zoo and a sheep farm at one time. The entrance was badly damaged during the 1938 hurricane. © Windsor Historical Society.


Selfies

Submit a Selfie

Old Poquonock Burying Ground
Poquonock Bridge
Keney Park
The Elijah Barber House
Samuel and Elijah Mills House
Taylor and Fenn
Capt. Thomas Allyn House
Mills House
Stanadyne
Deerfield World War II Honor Roll
Windsor/Deerfield Garden Apartments
Wilson Fire House
St. Gabriel Church, 1916
Col. Oliver Mather House at the Windsor Public Library, 1777
To the Patriots of Windsor, 1929
Grace Episcopal Church, 1865
Plaza Building, 1929
Rev. Reuel Hotchkiss Tuttle House, 1865
Veterans of Foreign Wars Building, 1941
Huntington House, 1902
Windsor Trust Building, 1929
Mack Brick Plaque, 1830
Roger Ludlow Plaque, 1914
Windsor Town Hall, 1965-1967
Loomis Fountain, 1903
Windsor Federal Building, 1956
John E. Luddy House, 1921
Old Post Office Building, ca. 1885
Murphy Building, ca. 1875
Tobacco Reliefs, 1943
U.S. Post Office, 1963
World War I Memorial, 1920 & 1957
Col. James Loomis House, 1822
Mullaley Building, ca. 1875
World War II Memorial, ca. 1950
Mason Building, 1908
Freight House, ca. 1870
Tunxis Theater, 1922
Windsor Train Station, 1869-1870
Hayden-Thompson Building, ca. 1850
Washington Lodge #70, 1902
Warham Mill Marker, 1933
Windsor Grist and Saw Mill, ca 1862
Union Street Fire Station, 1927
Amy Archer-Gilligan House, ca. 1880
Bart's Restaurant, 1946
Farmington River Railroad Bridge, 1867
Palisado Cemetery, 1633
First Church in Windsor Meetinghouse, 1794
Strong-Howard House, 1757-1830
Rev. William Russell House, 1755
Horace Hayden Memorial, 1910
John Mason Statue, 1889 & 1996
Dr. Hezekiah Chaffee House, ca. 1767
Founders of Windsor Monument, 1930
Pierson House, 1807
Poquonock Fire Company
St. Casimir's Lithuanian Society
Elm Grove Chapel, 1894 and Cemetery
Stony Hill School
Washington Park
John Fitch High School
Roger Ludlow School

Selfies
Historic Sites
Points of Interest
Restaurants - Food
Shopping
Attractions
About
Contact Us
Did You Know?
Search
©2017 Windsor Chamber of Commerce, Windsor Historical Society and First Town Downtown of Windsor, Connecticut
| Designed by HostingCT