Loomis Fountain, 1903

Loomis Fountain, 1903
In 1901 Mrs. Euphemia Loomis established a fund to erect a public fountain in memory of her husband Hezekiah B. Loomis, one of the founders of Loomis Chaffee School. Architect Herbert Hale of Boston designed the fountain and selected the pink granite from a quarry in Quincy, MA. He supervised the quarrying, carving, and delivery of the stone to its site in the center of Broad Street Green. The Town of Windsor accepted the gift of the fountain and provided the water supply. Over the years various community groups have contributed trees and flowers to beautify this "place of rest for the tired wayfarer." In 1983 the Windsor Exchange Club raised over $36,000 to renovate the fountain and its surroundings as their contribution to the Town's 350th anniversary celebrations. Learn more by examining the papers of designer Herbert Hale in the Hayden Collection at the Windsor Historical Society. Copyright 2015 Windsor Historical Society.



Selfies
192 votes

Submit a Selfie

Old Poquonock Burying Ground
Poquonock Bridge
Loomis Fountain, 1903
Mack Brick Plaque, 1830
Roger Ludlow Plaque, 1914
Windsor Town Hall, 1965-1967
John E. Luddy House, 1921
Windsor Trust Building, 1929
Windsor Federal Building, 1956
Veterans of Foreign Wars Building, 1941
Tobacco Reliefs, 1943
U.S. Post Office, 1963
World War I Memorial, 1920 & 1957
Huntington House, 1902
Plaza Building, 1929
Old Post Office Building, ca. 1885
Murphy Building, ca. 1875
Rev. Reuel Hotchkiss Tuttle House, 1865
To the Patriots of Windsor, 1929
Col. James Loomis House, 1822
Mason Building, 1908
World War II Memorial, ca. 1950
Grace Episcopal Church, 1865
Mullaley Building, ca. 1875
Col. Oliver Mather House at the Windsor Public Library, 1777
Tunxis Theater, 1922
Windsor Train Station, 1869-1870
Hayden-Thompson Building, ca. 1850
Freight House, ca. 1870
Washington Lodge #70, 1902
Union Street Fire Station, 1927
St. Gabriel Church, 1916
Amy Archer-Gilligan House, ca. 1880
Bart's Restaurant, 1946
Farmington River Railroad Bridge, 1867
Windsor Grist and Saw Mill, ca 1862
Warham Mill Marker, 1933
Palisado Cemetery, 1633
First Church in Windsor Meetinghouse, 1794
Strong-Howard House, 1757-1830
Rev. William Russell House, 1755
John Mason Statue, 1889 & 1996
Horace Hayden Memorial, 1910
Dr. Hezekiah Chaffee House, ca. 1767
Founders of Windsor Monument, 1930
Pierson House, 1807
Wilson Fire House
Deerfield World War II Honor Roll
Windsor/Deerfield Garden Apartments
Mills House
Capt. Thomas Allyn House
Stanadyne
Samuel and Elijah Mills House
Taylor and Fenn
The Elijah Barber House
Keney Park
Poquonock Fire Company
St. Casimir's Lithuanian Society
Elm Grove Chapel, 1894 and Cemetery
Roger Ludlow School
John Fitch High School
Washington Park
Stony Hill School

Selfies
Historic Sites
Points of Interest
Restaurants - Food
Shopping
Attractions
About
Contact Us
Did You Know?
Search
©2017 Windsor Chamber of Commerce, Windsor Historical Society and First Town Downtown of Windsor, Connecticut
| Designed by HostingCT