Mack Brick Plaque, 1830

On June 11, 1963, the Windsor Chamber of Commerce donated the first brick to symbolically start the campaign for a new Windsor Town Hall. The brick was one of the early bricks manufactured by the Mack Brick Company in Windsor. Windsor’s sandy, clay-filled soil produces quality bricks. In the eighteenth century, builders used local bricks for chimneys and a few house façades. The Wilson and Mack families founded small brick-making industries in the nineteenth century to serve a regional clientele. They loaded bricks onto river barges, took them by cart-load to Hartford, or shipped them via train to waiting buyers. The early 1900s was the peak for both brick companies. The Wilson Brick Company was producing six million bricks per year in 1906. By the late 1930s they mechanized production to compete with larger factories, but could not keep up with cheaper bricks flooding the market. Both companies closed local production in the mid-twentieth century. Mack Brick provided the bricks used in the current Town Hall building and still operates in Enfield, CT. Copyright 2015 Windsor Historical Society.


Selfies

Submit a Selfie

Historic Sites Points of Interest
Restaurants and Food Shopping
Attractions All Points
Old Poquonock Burying Ground
Poquonock Bridge
Mack Brick Plaque, 1830
Roger Ludlow Plaque, 1914
Windsor Town Hall, 1965-1967
Loomis Fountain, 1903
John E. Luddy House, 1921
Huntington House, 1902
Veterans of Foreign Wars Building, 1941
Windsor Trust Building, 1929
Tobacco Reliefs, 1943
U.S. Post Office, 1963
Rev. Reuel Hotchkiss Tuttle House, 1865
Windsor Federal Building, 1956
Plaza Building, 1929
To the Patriots of Windsor, 1929
World War I Memorial, 1920 & 1957
Grace Episcopal Church, 1865
Old Post Office Building, ca. 1885
Murphy Building, ca. 1875
Col. Oliver Mather House at the Windsor Public Library, 1777
Mason Building, 1908
Col. James Loomis House, 1822
World War II Memorial, ca. 1950
Mullaley Building, ca. 1875
Tunxis Theater, 1922
Freight House, ca. 1870
Windsor Train Station, 1869-1870
Hayden-Thompson Building, ca. 1850
Washington Lodge #70, 1902
Union Street Fire Station, 1927
St. Gabriel Church, 1916
Amy Archer-Gilligan House, ca. 1880
Bart's Restaurant, 1946
Farmington River Railroad Bridge, 1867
Windsor Grist and Saw Mill, ca 1862
Palisado Cemetery, 1633
Warham Mill Marker, 1933
First Church in Windsor Meetinghouse, 1794
Strong-Howard House, 1757-1830
Rev. William Russell House, 1755
Horace Hayden Memorial, 1910
John Mason Statue, 1889 & 1996
Dr. Hezekiah Chaffee House, ca. 1767
Founders of Windsor Monument, 1930
Pierson House, 1807
Wilson Fire House
Deerfield World War II Honor Roll
Windsor/Deerfield Garden Apartments
Mills House
Capt. Thomas Allyn House
Stanadyne
Samuel and Elijah Mills House
Taylor and Fenn
The Elijah Barber House
Keney Park
Poquonock Fire Company
St. Casimir's Lithuanian Society
Elm Grove Chapel, 1894 and Cemetery
Roger Ludlow School
John Fitch High School
Washington Park
Stony Hill School

Selfies
Historic Sites
Points of Interest
Restaurants - Food
Shopping
Attractions
About
Contact Us
Did You Know?
Search
©2017 Windsor Chamber of Commerce, Windsor Historical Society and First Town Downtown of Windsor, Connecticut
| Designed by HostingCT