Old Post Office Building, ca. 1885

For well over 100 years this building in the center of Windsor has been used for various commercial purposes. Built before 1900, it was first used as a store with apartments above. As was the custom at the time, it was constructed with the main entrance several steps above the unpaved and muddy street. In 1917 the first floor was lowered to the level of the sidewalk. This created a higher-ceilinged mercantile space more conducive to the retail businesses of the day. From 1909 until 1924 it housed the town's post office. Frederick C. Althen operated the Windsor Drug Company at 226 Broad from 1925 until his death in 1943. Since then a succession of businesses have occupied the building, and was recently the home of The Bean @226. Copyright 2015 Windsor Historical Society.


Selfies

Submit a Selfie

Historic Sites Points of Interest
Restaurants and Food Shopping
Attractions All Points
Old Poquonock Burying Ground
Poquonock Bridge
Old Post Office Building, ca. 1885
Murphy Building, ca. 1875
Col. James Loomis House, 1822
Windsor Federal Building, 1956
Mullaley Building, ca. 1875
World War I Memorial, 1920 & 1957
World War II Memorial, ca. 1950
Windsor Trust Building, 1929
Mason Building, 1908
Loomis Fountain, 1903
Tobacco Reliefs, 1943
U.S. Post Office, 1963
Veterans of Foreign Wars Building, 1941
John E. Luddy House, 1921
Mack Brick Plaque, 1830
Roger Ludlow Plaque, 1914
Windsor Town Hall, 1965-1967
Hayden-Thompson Building, ca. 1850
Plaza Building, 1929
Washington Lodge #70, 1902
Tunxis Theater, 1922
Huntington House, 1902
Windsor Train Station, 1869-1870
Union Street Fire Station, 1927
To the Patriots of Windsor, 1929
Freight House, ca. 1870
Rev. Reuel Hotchkiss Tuttle House, 1865
Grace Episcopal Church, 1865
Col. Oliver Mather House at the Windsor Public Library, 1777
Amy Archer-Gilligan House, ca. 1880
St. Gabriel Church, 1916
Bart's Restaurant, 1946
Windsor Grist and Saw Mill, ca 1862
Warham Mill Marker, 1933
Farmington River Railroad Bridge, 1867
Palisado Cemetery, 1633
First Church in Windsor Meetinghouse, 1794
Strong-Howard House, 1757-1830
Rev. William Russell House, 1755
John Mason Statue, 1889 & 1996
Horace Hayden Memorial, 1910
Dr. Hezekiah Chaffee House, ca. 1767
Founders of Windsor Monument, 1930
Pierson House, 1807
Wilson Fire House
Deerfield World War II Honor Roll
Windsor/Deerfield Garden Apartments
Mills House
Capt. Thomas Allyn House
Stanadyne
Samuel and Elijah Mills House
Taylor and Fenn
The Elijah Barber House
Keney Park
Poquonock Fire Company
St. Casimir's Lithuanian Society
Elm Grove Chapel, 1894 and Cemetery
Roger Ludlow School
John Fitch High School
Washington Park
Stony Hill School

Selfies
Historic Sites
Points of Interest
Restaurants - Food
Shopping
Attractions
About
Contact Us
Did You Know?
Search
©2017 Windsor Chamber of Commerce, Windsor Historical Society and First Town Downtown of Windsor, Connecticut
| Designed by HostingCT