Palisado Cemetery, 1633

Palisado Cemetery is owned and managed by the First School Society and is sometimes called the "Old Burying Ground." It encompasses the area laid out by the earliest settlers for their burying place within the original Palisado stockade fence. However, headstones were rare in the 1600s and there are no existing period markers in that section. The table-top monument for the Rev. Ephraim Huit who died in 1644 is the oldest surviving stone in the cemetery. Many of the older stones in the back portion of the grounds are made of sandstone quarried just a few miles north in Hayden Station. Other notable stones are the monument for Oliver Ellsworth, third Chief Justice of the United States who was born and died in Windsor, and the marble marker for Nancy Toney, Windsor?s last slave. Palisado Cemetery is still an active burying ground with newer interments taking place on the northern side. Copyright 2015 Windsor Historical Society.


Selfies

Submit a Selfie

Old Poquonock Burying Ground
Poquonock Bridge
Palisado Cemetery, 1633
First Church in Windsor Meetinghouse, 1794
Bart's Restaurant, 1946
Strong-Howard House, 1757-1830
Rev. William Russell House, 1755
John Mason Statue, 1889 & 1996
Horace Hayden Memorial, 1910
Founders of Windsor Monument, 1930
Dr. Hezekiah Chaffee House, ca. 1767
Pierson House, 1807
Farmington River Railroad Bridge, 1867
Union Street Fire Station, 1927
Windsor Train Station, 1869-1870
Washington Lodge #70, 1902
Freight House, ca. 1870
Tunxis Theater, 1922
Amy Archer-Gilligan House, ca. 1880
Hayden-Thompson Building, ca. 1850
Mason Building, 1908
World War II Memorial, ca. 1950
Tobacco Reliefs, 1943
U.S. Post Office, 1963
Mullaley Building, ca. 1875
World War I Memorial, 1920 & 1957
Col. James Loomis House, 1822
Murphy Building, ca. 1875
John E. Luddy House, 1921
Old Post Office Building, ca. 1885
Loomis Fountain, 1903
Mack Brick Plaque, 1830
Roger Ludlow Plaque, 1914
Windsor Town Hall, 1965-1967
Windsor Federal Building, 1956
Windsor Trust Building, 1929
Huntington House, 1902
Veterans of Foreign Wars Building, 1941
Rev. Reuel Hotchkiss Tuttle House, 1865
Plaza Building, 1929
Grace Episcopal Church, 1865
To the Patriots of Windsor, 1929
Col. Oliver Mather House at the Windsor Public Library, 1777
Windsor Grist and Saw Mill, ca 1862
Warham Mill Marker, 1933
St. Gabriel Church, 1916
Wilson Fire House
Deerfield World War II Honor Roll
Windsor/Deerfield Garden Apartments
Mills House
Capt. Thomas Allyn House
Stanadyne
Samuel and Elijah Mills House
Taylor and Fenn
The Elijah Barber House
Poquonock Fire Company
St. Casimir's Lithuanian Society
Keney Park
Elm Grove Chapel, 1894 and Cemetery
Roger Ludlow School
John Fitch High School
Washington Park
Stony Hill School

Selfies
Historic Sites
Points of Interest
Restaurants - Food
Shopping
Attractions
About
Contact Us
Did You Know?
Search
©2017 Windsor Chamber of Commerce, Windsor Historical Society and First Town Downtown of Windsor, Connecticut
| Designed by HostingCT