Plaza Building, 1929

This building was constructed in 1929 just before the stock-market crash. The Plaza block represents an early 20th century trend toward commercial development around the Green and away from the residential uses that had dominated this area since the 17th century. It was designed for urban and pedestrian uses, unlike the shopping centers of today. Notice the masonry piers with corresponding finials separating the windows and creating a sculpted effect on an otherwise flat surface. A two-story addition was constructed at the rear in 1935. Over the years this building has housed numerous commercial ventures including a grocery store, movie theater, and Baskin-Robbins Ice Cream. In 2011 it was purchased by the Sachdev family, and the new owners are renovating the building. The plans include reopening the theater as a film and performance space, converting the retail shops to restaurant space, and leasing apartments on the second floor. Copyright 2015 Windsor Historical Society.


Selfies

Submit a Selfie

Old Poquonock Burying Ground
Poquonock Bridge
Plaza Building, 1929
Veterans of Foreign Wars Building, 1941
Windsor Trust Building, 1929
To the Patriots of Windsor, 1929
Loomis Fountain, 1903
Col. Oliver Mather House at the Windsor Public Library, 1777
Windsor Federal Building, 1956
Mack Brick Plaque, 1830
Roger Ludlow Plaque, 1914
Windsor Town Hall, 1965-1967
Huntington House, 1902
Rev. Reuel Hotchkiss Tuttle House, 1865
Grace Episcopal Church, 1865
John E. Luddy House, 1921
Old Post Office Building, ca. 1885
World War I Memorial, 1920 & 1957
Tobacco Reliefs, 1943
U.S. Post Office, 1963
Murphy Building, ca. 1875
Col. James Loomis House, 1822
Mullaley Building, ca. 1875
World War II Memorial, ca. 1950
Mason Building, 1908
St. Gabriel Church, 1916
Tunxis Theater, 1922
Hayden-Thompson Building, ca. 1850
Windsor Train Station, 1869-1870
Freight House, ca. 1870
Washington Lodge #70, 1902
Union Street Fire Station, 1927
Amy Archer-Gilligan House, ca. 1880
Windsor Grist and Saw Mill, ca 1862
Warham Mill Marker, 1933
Bart's Restaurant, 1946
Farmington River Railroad Bridge, 1867
Palisado Cemetery, 1633
First Church in Windsor Meetinghouse, 1794
Strong-Howard House, 1757-1830
Rev. William Russell House, 1755
John Mason Statue, 1889 & 1996
Horace Hayden Memorial, 1910
Dr. Hezekiah Chaffee House, ca. 1767
Founders of Windsor Monument, 1930
Pierson House, 1807
Wilson Fire House
Deerfield World War II Honor Roll
Windsor/Deerfield Garden Apartments
Mills House
Capt. Thomas Allyn House
Stanadyne
Samuel and Elijah Mills House
Taylor and Fenn
The Elijah Barber House
Keney Park
Poquonock Fire Company
St. Casimir's Lithuanian Society
Elm Grove Chapel, 1894 and Cemetery
Roger Ludlow School
John Fitch High School
Washington Park
Stony Hill School

Selfies
Historic Sites
Points of Interest
Restaurants - Food
Shopping
Attractions
About
Contact Us
Did You Know?
Search
©2017 Windsor Chamber of Commerce, Windsor Historical Society and First Town Downtown of Windsor, Connecticut
| Designed by HostingCT