Rev. Reuel Hotchkiss Tuttle House, 1865

Rev. Reuel Hotchkiss Tuttle, a Hartford native, was the Rector of Grace Episcopal Church from 1860 to 1870. He constructed this Gothic-style home in 1865. A newspaper article about his 1865 Christmas party states that a Christmas tree was 'placed in the beautiful conservatory, which is entered from the parlor and library, an arrangement excellent for the purpose' and that the home was 'conveniently arranged in all its parts, finished throughout in hard wood, the walls painted and papers in singularly good taste, having all the modern improvements.' In 1881, Reverend Tuttle added indoor plumbing to the home. The first floor of the house has Gothic pointed arches and trefoils in the fireplace mantles, wall paneling, and even carved into the front door. Outside, the pointed arches and trefoils can also be found in the rooflines and red trim. These Gothic details mirror architectural elements in the design of Grace Church next door. Rev. Tuttle's grandchildren gave the house to the church in 1933. It served as a residence for the rector until 2001 and today houses the church's Sunday School. The Town of Windsor, Connecticut, Historic Survey of August 1981, described the house as - one of the finest examples of the style in the town. Copyright 2015 Windsor Historical Society.


Selfies

Submit a Selfie

Capt. Thomas Allyn House
Deerfield World War II Honor Roll
Elm Grove Chapel, 1894 and Cemetery
Keney Park
Mills House
Old Poquonock Burying Ground
Poquonock Bridge
Poquonock Fire Company
Samuel and Elijah Mills House
St. Casimir's Lithuanian Society
Stanadyne
Taylor and Fenn
The Elijah Barber House
Wilson Fire House
Windsor/Deerfield Garden Apartments
Rev. Reuel Hotchkiss Tuttle House, 1865
Grace Episcopal Church, 1865
Huntington House, 1902
To the Patriots of Windsor, 1929
Mack Brick Plaque, 1830
Roger Ludlow Plaque, 1914
Windsor Town Hall, 1965-1967
Col. Oliver Mather House at the Windsor Public Library, 1777
Plaza Building, 1929
Loomis Fountain, 1903
John E. Luddy House, 1921
Veterans of Foreign Wars Building, 1941
Windsor Trust Building, 1929
Tobacco Reliefs, 1943
U.S. Post Office, 1963
Windsor Federal Building, 1956
World War I Memorial, 1920 & 1957
Old Post Office Building, ca. 1885
Murphy Building, ca. 1875
St. Gabriel Church, 1916
Mason Building, 1908
Col. James Loomis House, 1822
Freight House, ca. 1870
World War II Memorial, ca. 1950
Mullaley Building, ca. 1875
Tunxis Theater, 1922
Windsor Train Station, 1869-1870
Hayden-Thompson Building, ca. 1850
Washington Lodge #70, 1902
Union Street Fire Station, 1927
Amy Archer-Gilligan House, ca. 1880
Bart's Restaurant, 1946
Farmington River Railroad Bridge, 1867
Windsor Grist and Saw Mill, ca 1862
Warham Mill Marker, 1933
First Church in Windsor Meetinghouse, 1794
Palisado Cemetery, 1633
Strong-Howard House, 1757-1830
Rev. William Russell House, 1755
Horace Hayden Memorial, 1910
John Mason Statue, 1889 & 1996
Dr. Hezekiah Chaffee House, ca. 1767
Founders of Windsor Monument, 1930
Pierson House, 1807

Selfies
Historic Sites
Points of Interest
Restaurants
Shopping
Attractions
About
Contact Us
Did You Know?
Search
©2017 Windsor Chamber of Commerce, Windsor Historical Society and First Town Downtown of Windsor, Connecticut
| Designed by HostingCT