Tobacco Reliefs, 1943

Artist and sculptor Nena Jackson De Brennecke, born in 1888 in Argentina, came to the United States in 1924 and lived in New York City. She designed and carved the wooden bas relief sculptures called "Transplanting," "Harvesting," and "Stringing" tobacco on view in the Windsor Post Office lobby. De Brennecke?s works were created under the auspices of the U.S. Treasury Department?s Section of Fine Arts during Roosevelt?s New Deal era. Between 1939 and 1943 post offices in North Carolina, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Connecticut were decorated with her work. She eventually moved to Colorado and founded the Denver Artists Guild with other artists who had participated in the federal government?s art projects.

The Windsor sculptures were originally installed in 1943 over the postal boxes in the town?s new post office at Elm and Broad Streets. When the present post office building was opened in 1963, the artwork was moved and again mounted over the wall of lock boxes. The post office lobby is open to the public 24 hours a day. Copyright 2015 Windsor Historical Society.



Selfies

Submit a Selfie

Elm Grove Chapel, 1894 and Cemetery
Old Poquonock Burying Ground
Poquonock Bridge
Tobacco Reliefs, 1943
U.S. Post Office, 1963
John E. Luddy House, 1921
World War I Memorial, 1920 & 1957
Mason Building, 1908
Loomis Fountain, 1903
Mack Brick Plaque, 1830
Roger Ludlow Plaque, 1914
Windsor Town Hall, 1965-1967
World War II Memorial, ca. 1950
Tunxis Theater, 1922
Windsor Federal Building, 1956
Old Post Office Building, ca. 1885
Murphy Building, ca. 1875
Col. James Loomis House, 1822
Windsor Train Station, 1869-1870
Mullaley Building, ca. 1875
Windsor Trust Building, 1929
Freight House, ca. 1870
Hayden-Thompson Building, ca. 1850
Veterans of Foreign Wars Building, 1941
Huntington House, 1902
Washington Lodge #70, 1902
Union Street Fire Station, 1927
Plaza Building, 1929
Rev. Reuel Hotchkiss Tuttle House, 1865
To the Patriots of Windsor, 1929
Grace Episcopal Church, 1865
Col. Oliver Mather House at the Windsor Public Library, 1777
Amy Archer-Gilligan House, ca. 1880
St. Gabriel Church, 1916
Bart's Restaurant, 1946
Farmington River Railroad Bridge, 1867
Windsor Grist and Saw Mill, ca 1862
Warham Mill Marker, 1933
First Church in Windsor Meetinghouse, 1794
Palisado Cemetery, 1633
Strong-Howard House, 1757-1830
Rev. William Russell House, 1755
John Mason Statue, 1889 & 1996
Horace Hayden Memorial, 1910
Dr. Hezekiah Chaffee House, ca. 1767
Founders of Windsor Monument, 1930
Pierson House, 1807
Wilson Fire House
Deerfield World War II Honor Roll
Windsor/Deerfield Garden Apartments
Mills House
Capt. Thomas Allyn House
Stanadyne
Samuel and Elijah Mills House
Taylor and Fenn
The Elijah Barber House
Keney Park
Poquonock Fire Company
St. Casimir's Lithuanian Society
Roger Ludlow School
John Fitch High School
Washington Park
Stony Hill School

Selfies
Historic Sites
Points of Interest
Restaurants
Shopping
Attractions
About
Contact Us
Did You Know?
Search
©2017 Windsor Chamber of Commerce, Windsor Historical Society and First Town Downtown of Windsor, Connecticut
| Designed by HostingCT