To the Patriots of Windsor, 1929

This sculptural monument, officially titled "To the Patriots of Windsor," is often referred to as the War Eagle or Eagle Monument. It was dedicated on November 3, 1929. Nationally-renowned sculptor Evelyn Longman Batchelder (1874-1954) designed and crafted the monument. She donated her time and services reducing the total cost of the project from $12,000 to $6,000. The Gray-Dickinson Post No. 59 of the American Legion and its Women?s Auxiliary raised $3,000 for the project, and the Town of Windsor contributed the rest of the funds. Batchelder was the wife of the headmaster at the nearby Loomis Institute, where she had a studio. Other works by her can be seen inside Grace Episcopal Church just east of the monument, around the campus of the Loomis Chaffee School, and on Windsor's Palisado Green. Copyright 2015 Windsor Historical Society.


Selfies
3 votes

Submit a Selfie

Old Poquonock Burying Ground
Poquonock Bridge
To the Patriots of Windsor, 1929
Col. Oliver Mather House at the Windsor Public Library, 1777
Grace Episcopal Church, 1865
Rev. Reuel Hotchkiss Tuttle House, 1865
Plaza Building, 1929
Huntington House, 1902
Veterans of Foreign Wars Building, 1941
Mack Brick Plaque, 1830
Roger Ludlow Plaque, 1914
Windsor Town Hall, 1965-1967
Windsor Trust Building, 1929
Loomis Fountain, 1903
John E. Luddy House, 1921
Windsor Federal Building, 1956
St. Gabriel Church, 1916
Tobacco Reliefs, 1943
U.S. Post Office, 1963
Old Post Office Building, ca. 1885
World War I Memorial, 1920 & 1957
Murphy Building, ca. 1875
Col. James Loomis House, 1822
Mullaley Building, ca. 1875
Mason Building, 1908
World War II Memorial, ca. 1950
Tunxis Theater, 1922
Freight House, ca. 1870
Windsor Train Station, 1869-1870
Hayden-Thompson Building, ca. 1850
Washington Lodge #70, 1902
Union Street Fire Station, 1927
Amy Archer-Gilligan House, ca. 1880
Bart's Restaurant, 1946
Windsor Grist and Saw Mill, ca 1862
Warham Mill Marker, 1933
Farmington River Railroad Bridge, 1867
Palisado Cemetery, 1633
First Church in Windsor Meetinghouse, 1794
Strong-Howard House, 1757-1830
Rev. William Russell House, 1755
Horace Hayden Memorial, 1910
John Mason Statue, 1889 & 1996
Dr. Hezekiah Chaffee House, ca. 1767
Founders of Windsor Monument, 1930
Pierson House, 1807
Wilson Fire House
Deerfield World War II Honor Roll
Windsor/Deerfield Garden Apartments
Mills House
Capt. Thomas Allyn House
Stanadyne
Samuel and Elijah Mills House
Taylor and Fenn
The Elijah Barber House
Keney Park
Poquonock Fire Company
St. Casimir's Lithuanian Society
Elm Grove Chapel, 1894 and Cemetery
Roger Ludlow School
John Fitch High School
Washington Park
Stony Hill School

Selfies
Historic Sites
Points of Interest
Restaurants - Food
Shopping
Attractions
About
Contact Us
Did You Know?
Search
©2017 Windsor Chamber of Commerce, Windsor Historical Society and First Town Downtown of Windsor, Connecticut
| Designed by HostingCT