Union Street Fire Station, 1927

The volunteer fire company that served Windsor center was formed in 1830 by twenty men who each subscribed five dollars. Their early apparatus and a storage building were destroyed by a disastrous fire in 1869 that burned more than a dozen large buildings in the center of town. The group then acquired a small pumping engine which the firefighters dragged to fires themselves and worked by hand. At the end of the 19th century the group was reorganized and revitalized. They purchased a horse-drawn 70-gallon chemical fire engine in 1902, took receipt of a motor-driven truck in 1918. And in 1926 they bought a new Seagrave 750 gallon-per-minute pumper. The new apparatus did not fit in the old building near Maple Avenue, so this new brick building on Union Street was built in 1927. It served as the Windsor Fire Company’s headquarters until they moved in 1964 to the Public Safety Complex on Bloomfield Avenue, a location that provides quick access to all parts of town.

The Union Street Tavern restaurant opened in 2006. On their first anniversary in 2007 the owners initiated the Tavern Trot, a 3.5 mile race which raises thousands of dollars for charity every year. Copyright 2015 Windsor Historical Society.



Selfies

Submit a Selfie

Old Poquonock Burying Ground
Poquonock Bridge
Union Street Fire Station, 1927
Washington Lodge #70, 1902
Tunxis Theater, 1922
Hayden-Thompson Building, ca. 1850
Windsor Train Station, 1869-1870
Mason Building, 1908
Freight House, ca. 1870
World War II Memorial, ca. 1950
Tobacco Reliefs, 1943
U.S. Post Office, 1963
World War I Memorial, 1920 & 1957
Mullaley Building, ca. 1875
Col. James Loomis House, 1822
Murphy Building, ca. 1875
Old Post Office Building, ca. 1885
John E. Luddy House, 1921
Amy Archer-Gilligan House, ca. 1880
Loomis Fountain, 1903
Windsor Federal Building, 1956
Mack Brick Plaque, 1830
Roger Ludlow Plaque, 1914
Windsor Town Hall, 1965-1967
Windsor Trust Building, 1929
Veterans of Foreign Wars Building, 1941
Huntington House, 1902
Plaza Building, 1929
Rev. Reuel Hotchkiss Tuttle House, 1865
To the Patriots of Windsor, 1929
Grace Episcopal Church, 1865
Col. Oliver Mather House at the Windsor Public Library, 1777
Bart's Restaurant, 1946
Farmington River Railroad Bridge, 1867
Palisado Cemetery, 1633
St. Gabriel Church, 1916
First Church in Windsor Meetinghouse, 1794
Strong-Howard House, 1757-1830
Windsor Grist and Saw Mill, ca 1862
Rev. William Russell House, 1755
Warham Mill Marker, 1933
John Mason Statue, 1889 & 1996
Horace Hayden Memorial, 1910
Dr. Hezekiah Chaffee House, ca. 1767
Founders of Windsor Monument, 1930
Pierson House, 1807
Wilson Fire House
Deerfield World War II Honor Roll
Windsor/Deerfield Garden Apartments
Mills House
Capt. Thomas Allyn House
Stanadyne
Samuel and Elijah Mills House
Taylor and Fenn
The Elijah Barber House
Keney Park
Poquonock Fire Company
St. Casimir's Lithuanian Society
Elm Grove Chapel, 1894 and Cemetery
Roger Ludlow School
John Fitch High School
Washington Park
Stony Hill School

Selfies
Historic Sites
Points of Interest
Restaurants - Food
Shopping
Attractions
About
Contact Us
Did You Know?
Search
©2017 Windsor Chamber of Commerce, Windsor Historical Society and First Town Downtown of Windsor, Connecticut
| Designed by HostingCT