Windsor Grist and Saw Mill, ca 1862

The historic marker at this site credits Rev. John Warham, first minister of the Windsor church, with establishing the first grist mill in Connecticut here beside Mill Brook. Corn and grains such as wheat and rye were ground into flour and the miller took a percentage as his fee. The mill pond was across Poquonock Avenue. Gates controlled the flow of water down a sluiceway, underneath the road, and into the basement of the mill building to turn the waterwheel.

Numerous proprietors operated the mill during its more than 300 year history. Many of them made changes and improvements to the business. The earliest portions of the current structure were built by Earl Simons about 1862. Charles F. Lewis added a shed with a sawmill in the 1880s. His son Charles T. Lewis replaced the waterwheel with an electric motor to grind the various flours. Subsequent owners sold seeds, fertilizer, and poultry supplies. The Larsen family took over in the 1960s and operated the business as a general purpose hardware store. The mill pond is gone, but remnants of the first mill apparatus can be seen inside the building. Copyright 2015 Windsor Historical Society.



Selfies

Submit a Selfie

Historic Sites Points of Interest
Restaurants and Food Shopping
Attractions All Points
Old Poquonock Burying Ground
Poquonock Bridge
Windsor Grist and Saw Mill, ca 1862
Warham Mill Marker, 1933
Amy Archer-Gilligan House, ca. 1880
Mullaley Building, ca. 1875
Col. James Loomis House, 1822
Murphy Building, ca. 1875
Old Post Office Building, ca. 1885
World War II Memorial, ca. 1950
Washington Lodge #70, 1902
Hayden-Thompson Building, ca. 1850
Windsor Federal Building, 1956
World War I Memorial, 1920 & 1957
Mason Building, 1908
Windsor Trust Building, 1929
Veterans of Foreign Wars Building, 1941
Union Street Fire Station, 1927
Plaza Building, 1929
Tobacco Reliefs, 1943
U.S. Post Office, 1963
Loomis Fountain, 1903
Tunxis Theater, 1922
John E. Luddy House, 1921
Windsor Train Station, 1869-1870
Farmington River Railroad Bridge, 1867
Mack Brick Plaque, 1830
Roger Ludlow Plaque, 1914
Windsor Town Hall, 1965-1967
To the Patriots of Windsor, 1929
Freight House, ca. 1870
Huntington House, 1902
Col. Oliver Mather House at the Windsor Public Library, 1777
Rev. Reuel Hotchkiss Tuttle House, 1865
Grace Episcopal Church, 1865
St. Gabriel Church, 1916
Bart's Restaurant, 1946
Palisado Cemetery, 1633
First Church in Windsor Meetinghouse, 1794
Rev. William Russell House, 1755
Strong-Howard House, 1757-1830
John Mason Statue, 1889 & 1996
Pierson House, 1807
Founders of Windsor Monument, 1930
Horace Hayden Memorial, 1910
Dr. Hezekiah Chaffee House, ca. 1767
Wilson Fire House
Deerfield World War II Honor Roll
Windsor/Deerfield Garden Apartments
Mills House
Capt. Thomas Allyn House
Stanadyne
Samuel and Elijah Mills House
Taylor and Fenn
The Elijah Barber House
Poquonock Fire Company
St. Casimir's Lithuanian Society
Keney Park
Elm Grove Chapel, 1894 and Cemetery
John Fitch High School
Roger Ludlow School
Washington Park
Stony Hill School

Selfies
Historic Sites
Points of Interest
Restaurants - Food
Shopping
Attractions
About
Contact Us
Did You Know?
Search
©2017 Windsor Chamber of Commerce, Windsor Historical Society and First Town Downtown of Windsor, Connecticut
| Designed by HostingCT