Windsor Town Hall, 1965-1967

On June 11, 1963, the Windsor Chamber of Commerce donated the first brick to symbolically start the campaign for a new Windsor Town Hall. That brick is still visible in the lobby of the completed building, which opened to the public on January 30, 1967. By the 1950s, the old town hall, located on the east side of Broad Street Green and built in 1878 no longer served the needs of Windsor's growing population. The town began acquiring property on the west side of the Green in the late 1950s with the purpose of constructing a new complex of municipal buildings, although only the Town Hall was built on the site. The town approved plans for the new building in 1965 designed by Louis J. Drakos and Associates of Hartford. The steel frame structure, covered with Mack brick and limestone, cost approximately $1.3 million. An eight-week strike by the Local 1, Bricklayers, Plasters, and Masons? Union delayed construction during the summer of 1966, but the building was largely finished by the end of December 1966 when town personnel began moving into their new offices.

The new Town Hall's elevator, fireproofing, and sprinkler system made it a vast improvement over the old structure. It housed municipal departments as well as the Probate Court and the Circuit Court. During the dedication ceremony on April 9, 1967, Mayor Milo W. Peck was given the keys to the building. He then presented them to Town Manager Albert G. Ilg. The Knights of Columbus Council #3181 and the Freemasons of Washington Lodge #70 laid the cornerstone. The cornerstone holds a bronze time capsule containing a microfilm of the 200th anniversary edition of the Hartford Courant and one of the 150th edition of the Hartford Times, a copy of the certificate of occupancy for the new Town Hall, a copy of the 1966 Windsor Town Report, and a copy of "Windsor's Heritage" by Miss Grace H. Loomis. Copyright 2015 Windsor Historical Society.



Selfies

Submit a Selfie

Historic Sites Points of Interest
Restaurants and Food Shopping
Attractions All Points
Old Poquonock Burying Ground
Poquonock Bridge
Mack Brick Plaque, 1830
Roger Ludlow Plaque, 1914
Windsor Town Hall, 1965-1967
Loomis Fountain, 1903
John E. Luddy House, 1921
Huntington House, 1902
Veterans of Foreign Wars Building, 1941
Windsor Trust Building, 1929
Tobacco Reliefs, 1943
U.S. Post Office, 1963
Rev. Reuel Hotchkiss Tuttle House, 1865
Windsor Federal Building, 1956
Plaza Building, 1929
To the Patriots of Windsor, 1929
World War I Memorial, 1920 & 1957
Grace Episcopal Church, 1865
Old Post Office Building, ca. 1885
Murphy Building, ca. 1875
Col. Oliver Mather House at the Windsor Public Library, 1777
Mason Building, 1908
Col. James Loomis House, 1822
World War II Memorial, ca. 1950
Mullaley Building, ca. 1875
Tunxis Theater, 1922
Freight House, ca. 1870
Windsor Train Station, 1869-1870
Hayden-Thompson Building, ca. 1850
Washington Lodge #70, 1902
Union Street Fire Station, 1927
St. Gabriel Church, 1916
Amy Archer-Gilligan House, ca. 1880
Bart's Restaurant, 1946
Farmington River Railroad Bridge, 1867
Windsor Grist and Saw Mill, ca 1862
Palisado Cemetery, 1633
Warham Mill Marker, 1933
First Church in Windsor Meetinghouse, 1794
Strong-Howard House, 1757-1830
Rev. William Russell House, 1755
Horace Hayden Memorial, 1910
John Mason Statue, 1889 & 1996
Dr. Hezekiah Chaffee House, ca. 1767
Founders of Windsor Monument, 1930
Pierson House, 1807
Wilson Fire House
Deerfield World War II Honor Roll
Windsor/Deerfield Garden Apartments
Mills House
Capt. Thomas Allyn House
Stanadyne
Samuel and Elijah Mills House
Taylor and Fenn
The Elijah Barber House
Keney Park
Poquonock Fire Company
St. Casimir's Lithuanian Society
Elm Grove Chapel, 1894 and Cemetery
Roger Ludlow School
John Fitch High School
Washington Park
Stony Hill School

Selfies
Historic Sites
Points of Interest
Restaurants - Food
Shopping
Attractions
About
Contact Us
Did You Know?
Search
©2017 Windsor Chamber of Commerce, Windsor Historical Society and First Town Downtown of Windsor, Connecticut
| Designed by HostingCT