Archer Memorial A.M.E. Zion Church

** Freedom Trail Site **

A community of African Americans developed in the Hayden Station area during the 19th century. One of the religious and social centers for this community was the Archer Memorial African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church. Its first building was constructed under the guidance of Reverend Dennis Scott White (b. 1870), who received financial assistance from a local philanthropist, Frederick Thrall. The church was located next to a pine grove north of Hayden Station Road and Pond Road; Reverend White conducted popular camp meetings in the grove during the 1880s and 1890s. The pond nearby was used by the town for swimming and ice-skating and by the congregation for baptismal services. The present church building was erected in 1982.

Sources:
Archer Memorial Cemetery photo by Len Hellerman


Upload a Selfie With Your Paper Shad

Historic Sites Points of Interest
Restaurants and Food Shopping
Attractions Freedom Trail
All Points
Old Poquonock Burying Ground
Poquonock Bridge
Pierson House, 1807
Rev. William Russell House, 1755
Founders of Windsor Monument, 1930
Farmington River Railroad Bridge, 1867
John Mason Statue, 1889 & 1996
First Church in Windsor Meetinghouse, 1794
Dr. Hezekiah Chaffee House, ca. 1767
Strong-Howard House, 1757-1830
Horace Hayden Memorial, 1910
Palisado Cemetery, 1633
Bart's Restaurant, 1946
Windsor Grist and Saw Mill, ca 1862
Warham Mill Marker, 1933
Poquonock Fire Company
Amy Archer-Gilligan House, ca. 1880
St. Casimir's Lithuanian Society
Union Street Fire Station, 1927
Washington Lodge #70, 1902
Hayden-Thompson Building, ca. 1850
Tunxis Theater, 1922
World War II Memorial, ca. 1950
Mullaley Building, ca. 1875
Windsor Train Station, 1869-1870
Mason Building, 1908
Col. James Loomis House, 1822
Freight House, ca. 1870
Murphy Building, ca. 1875
World War I Memorial, 1920 & 1957
Old Post Office Building, ca. 1885
Tobacco Reliefs, 1943
U.S. Post Office, 1963
Windsor Federal Building, 1956
John E. Luddy House, 1921
Loomis Fountain, 1903
Windsor Trust Building, 1929
Mack Brick Plaque, 1830
Roger Ludlow Plaque, 1914
Windsor Town Hall, 1965-1967
Veterans of Foreign Wars Building, 1941
Plaza Building, 1929
Huntington House, 1902
Rev. Reuel Hotchkiss Tuttle House, 1865
To the Patriots of Windsor, 1929
Grace Episcopal Church, 1865
Col. Oliver Mather House at the Windsor Public Library, 1777
St. Gabriel Church, 1916
Deerfield World War II Honor Roll
Windsor/Deerfield Garden Apartments
Mills House
Capt. Thomas Allyn House
Stanadyne
Samuel and Elijah Mills House
Taylor and Fenn
The Elijah Barber House
Wilson Fire House
Keney Park
Elm Grove Chapel, 1894 and Cemetery
Archer Memorial A.M.E. Zion Church
William Best House
Joseph Rainey House
Riverside Cemetery
Roger Ludlow School
John Fitch High School
Washington Park
Stony Hill School

Historic Sites
Points of Interest
Restaurants - Food
Shopping
Attractions
Freedom Trail Sites
About
Contact Us
Did You Know?
Events
Search
Shad Selfies
©2021 Windsor Chamber of Commerce, Windsor Historical Society and First Town Downtown of Windsor, Connecticut
| Designed by HostingCT