John Fitch High School

This 1921 structure was built of tapestry brick with a green tile roof. An annex was added in 1929, and another eight-room annex in 1934. High school students moved here in 1922. When a new Windsor High School was built at Sage Park in 1953, the John Fitch High School building was used as an elementary school and Board of Education offices. In 1985, the town turned John Fitch building over to developers for conversion to apartments for the elderly. It became John Fitch Court. Over the main entrance to the school is a relief bust of John Fitch chiseled in stone. The lobby once featured a life-size portrait, done by Windsor's well-known artist, Ruel Crompton Tuttle, showing Fitch after signing his will and about "to goe forth" to the War. The portrait is now in the Windsor Historical Society's collection. © Windsor Historical Society.


Selfies

Submit a Selfie

Old Poquonock Burying Ground
Poquonock Bridge
Warham Mill Marker, 1933
Windsor Grist and Saw Mill, ca 1862
Old Post Office Building, ca. 1885
Murphy Building, ca. 1875
Windsor Federal Building, 1956
Col. James Loomis House, 1822
Windsor Trust Building, 1929
Mullaley Building, ca. 1875
Veterans of Foreign Wars Building, 1941
Plaza Building, 1929
St. Gabriel Church, 1916
Amy Archer-Gilligan House, ca. 1880
World War I Memorial, 1920 & 1957
World War II Memorial, ca. 1950
Col. Oliver Mather House at the Windsor Public Library, 1777
Loomis Fountain, 1903
To the Patriots of Windsor, 1929
Mason Building, 1908
Mack Brick Plaque, 1830
Roger Ludlow Plaque, 1914
Windsor Town Hall, 1965-1967
Hayden-Thompson Building, ca. 1850
Tobacco Reliefs, 1943
U.S. Post Office, 1963
Washington Lodge #70, 1902
John E. Luddy House, 1921
Huntington House, 1902
Grace Episcopal Church, 1865
Rev. Reuel Hotchkiss Tuttle House, 1865
Tunxis Theater, 1922
Union Street Fire Station, 1927
Windsor Train Station, 1869-1870
Freight House, ca. 1870
Farmington River Railroad Bridge, 1867
Bart's Restaurant, 1946
Wilson Fire House
Palisado Cemetery, 1633
First Church in Windsor Meetinghouse, 1794
Rev. William Russell House, 1755
Strong-Howard House, 1757-1830
John Mason Statue, 1889 & 1996
Pierson House, 1807
Founders of Windsor Monument, 1930
Horace Hayden Memorial, 1910
Dr. Hezekiah Chaffee House, ca. 1767
Deerfield World War II Honor Roll
Windsor/Deerfield Garden Apartments
Mills House
Capt. Thomas Allyn House
Stanadyne
Samuel and Elijah Mills House
Taylor and Fenn
The Elijah Barber House
Keney Park
Poquonock Fire Company
St. Casimir's Lithuanian Society
Elm Grove Chapel, 1894 and Cemetery
John Fitch High School
Washington Park
Roger Ludlow School
Stony Hill School

Selfies
Historic Sites
Points of Interest
Restaurants
Shopping
Attractions
About
Contact Us
Did You Know?
Search
©2017 Windsor Chamber of Commerce, Windsor Historical Society and First Town Downtown of Windsor, Connecticut
| Designed by HostingCT