Stony Hill School

The school you see today is the third building known by that name. The original Stony Hill School was built in 1778 on the east side of the street. About 1850, the school was auctioned to Henry Capen for $68.62, and he erected a new school on the same site. In 1899 when Dr. Erastus Case built his house on the property, the title to the school transferred to him. Since he didn't want a school in his front yard, he donated 0.2 acres on the west side of the street to the town. Case had the school dismantled and rebuilt it in the current location with a stipulation that it be turned back to his heirs if not used for school purposes for a 6 year period. The school closed in 1969 and the controversy over ownership went on until 1985 when the Town paid the Case heirs $16,500 for the property. A group, led by Bob Geisel, formed the "Friends of Stony Hill School" and worked hard to preserve the old one-room schoolhouse for future generations. © Windsor Historical Society
Old Poquonock Burying Ground
Poquonock Bridge
St. Gabriel Church, 1916
Col. Oliver Mather House at the Windsor Public Library, 1777
To the Patriots of Windsor, 1929
Grace Episcopal Church, 1865
Plaza Building, 1929
Rev. Reuel Hotchkiss Tuttle House, 1865
Veterans of Foreign Wars Building, 1941
Huntington House, 1902
Windsor Trust Building, 1929
Mack Brick Plaque, 1830
Roger Ludlow Plaque, 1914
Windsor Town Hall, 1965-1967
Loomis Fountain, 1903
Windsor Federal Building, 1956
John E. Luddy House, 1921
Old Post Office Building, ca. 1885
Murphy Building, ca. 1875
Tobacco Reliefs, 1943
U.S. Post Office, 1963
World War I Memorial, 1920 & 1957
Col. James Loomis House, 1822
Mullaley Building, ca. 1875
World War II Memorial, ca. 1950
Mason Building, 1908
Tunxis Theater, 1922
Freight House, ca. 1870
Hayden-Thompson Building, ca. 1850
Windsor Train Station, 1869-1870
Washington Lodge #70, 1902
Deerfield World War II Honor Roll
Windsor/Deerfield Garden Apartments
Union Street Fire Station, 1927
Amy Archer-Gilligan House, ca. 1880
Windsor Grist and Saw Mill, ca 1862
Warham Mill Marker, 1933
Wilson Fire House
Mills House
Bart's Restaurant, 1946
Farmington River Railroad Bridge, 1867
Capt. Thomas Allyn House
Palisado Cemetery, 1633
First Church in Windsor Meetinghouse, 1794
Stanadyne
Strong-Howard House, 1757-1830
Rev. William Russell House, 1755
Samuel and Elijah Mills House
Horace Hayden Memorial, 1910
John Mason Statue, 1889 & 1996
Dr. Hezekiah Chaffee House, ca. 1767
Founders of Windsor Monument, 1930
Pierson House, 1807
Taylor and Fenn
The Elijah Barber House
Keney Park
Poquonock Fire Company
St. Casimir's Lithuanian Society
Elm Grove Chapel, 1894 and Cemetery
Stony Hill School
Washington Park
John Fitch High School
Roger Ludlow School

Selfies
Historic Sites
Points of Interest
Restaurants
Shopping
Attractions
About
Contact Us
Did You Know?
Search
©2017 Windsor Chamber of Commerce, Windsor Historical Society and First Town Downtown of Windsor, Connecticut
| Designed by HostingCT